Monday, July 6, 2009

Adorable, Loveable Dodge


Dodge Asher is our youngest son; he is not biologically mine, but he is still my love. He is the sweetest boy a person can come in contact with. I have only known him for about four years; however, it seems like we have known one another forever. I don’t know a whole lot about Dodge, because he lives with his biological mother and only comes to our home on holidays and summer months. When I first met Dodge I thought he was going to be this disobedient child, who only listens to his mother, but that is not the case. Dodge is so respecting and loving to any adult. He minds his manners and always talks politely to others. It was hard setting ground rules for him, when he first came to the house because he was so adoring, cute, and patient that we did not want to damage his spirit. But of course, like any other child, Dodge made mistakes and we had to give consequences to his action. At first we tried to do it as carefully as possible and that did not work because the other children thought we were playing favorites, and Dodge would walk over us. As time went on we were able to know when he was walking over is or not. But all in all, he is a great kid.
The best quality about Dodge that I have come to love is his acceptance and love he shows towards me and the rest of our family. As many of you may know, it is not easy mending step families together; however, members in my family make it very easy to accomplish this goal. For instance, the first year that Dodge came to the house, he began calling me mom whenever he heard the other children calling me mom. At first he just thought that’s what everyone had to call me, so he did it because the kids did it. Now he knows he calls me mom, because I am the mother of the home who cares and loves them so dearly. Of course, Dodge began calling me mom on his own terms, which made me feel all the more appreciated, because no one forced him, he just accepted me as his “other mom.”
I appreciate that he adores and loves me so much. He tells me how much he loves me on a daily basis; this makes me feel loved. I am grateful that the lord gave me a child who accepts me for who I am, and that loves me just as much as he loves all the rest of his family members. Dodge is the type of child who loves to show his affection for his parents and loved ones, I often see that in him. He loves giving hugs, sometimes kisses, and playing with us; he also loves to sit and just talk with you. This year he has taken a liking to Traneice. He and Traneice have become best friends this year, which is pleasing to me because last year they were not getting along so well. Dodge has seemed to find his place within the home like all the other children had to do when Austin came into our lives. I am glad that Dodge has such loving qualities because it helps him feel loved and accepted with everyone in our family, just as we feel loved from him, when he expresses that to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment